Sunday 2 December 2007

Ewe have to be joking.....................


With the recent 'foot and mouth' scare in the south of England, the repercussions of restricting the movement of livestock have hit the farmers really hard here in the north, especially as it came just when the livestock markets were about to start and the farmers would be selling this year's lambs on for fattening up ready for entering the food chain.


The Government's response to this has been to offer farmers a measly £15.00 per lamb to have it slaughtered and incinerated, By the time the lambs have been ferried across to the mainland etc. there is little of the £15.00 per lamb left to compensate the farmer for the loss of his stock and livelihood. It seems positively criminal to me when you think of all the starving mouths there are around the world that need feeding. It also seems crazy to me that the Government continues to allow lamb imports into the UK when our own farmers are forced into corners with their backs against the wall. What ever happened to charity begins at home? We should be supporting our farmers and buying British lamb - talk about importing coal to Newcastle!


One way we have helped support one of the local farmers is to buy a couple of his lambs that have been slaughtered on the island and our freezer is now fully stocked with every conceivable cut of lamb you can think of - any suggestions/recipes on what to cook with the lamb greatly welcomed.


We have enjoyed leg of lamb as part of our Sunday roast today and as delicious as the lamb was (this is real lean organic lamb I'm talking about from the wild rugged hills of Mull - not your supermarket rubbish), I have mild indigestion at the thought that the only reason the lamb found it's way on my plate to start with was because it had a death warrant on it's head courtesy of the incompetence of HM Government!!


One thing's for sure, when I find I can't sleep tonight because of the indigestion, I won't be counting sheep to help me sleep!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Fushia, thanks for the comments, yes I will put up some photos of my work, thanks for asking. Love your blogg, Auughh all that fresh clear air, can just smell it, just about, if close my eyes and dream ,love your vitallity for living life to the full, yes polo necks are great, but no use in the summer months, mind you in Scotland that's debatable!!!... hope to read about all your escapades again, lovely part of the world, ,my dream is to visit Harris next year, looking forward to it so much,my part of heaven is Perthshire, just as beautiful and a joy to live amongst the hills and glens of this beautiful countryside, will blogg about all my haunts too, hopefully I will hear from you again, regards , Beeswax

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fushcia Girl,
    Pop over and see my last post !
    I have a little something for you....
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi it's me again!
    I need an address to send you your prize.
    I cannot believe what is happening with all the scares of late. It is just heartbreaking for the Farmers.
    I never buy anything from abroad if I can buy from our own farmers.
    My hubby cooked a 'slow' lamb curry, it was more casserolle than curry really, but I love it anyway. It is a rare treat for me when he cooks.
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't talk to me about this government or pretty much any government come to that, their policies constantly leave me dumbfounded, you start to query who are the intelligent ones round here? I am not very adventurous with lamb, really only do a shoulder roast, or roast the chops, make a shepherd's pie with the mince or lamb stew, with dumplings of course. I still count sheep when I can't get to sleep, but from now on I shall only be counting British ones! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jane, hope you are OK today. I have left you an award over on my blog, I thought you deserved one! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jane, just had to pop over from Carols Blog to say hello, love the name you chose as well for her cute teddy, they do look like best buddies :) Sadly the poor famers do it so tough on the land. Jenn and Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  7. just to add, had a look at your b7b website looks amazing what an escape! maybe Harris can wait!
    regards beeswax

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

If you think life is a struggle you will always be struggling; if you think life is a breeze, your attitudes and actions will convey lightness and easiness