Thursday 29 November 2007

Rainbows and Robins






Red and yellow and pink and green, orange and purple and blue. I can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow too. Listen with your eyes, listen with your eyes, sing every song you see – I can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow, sing along with me…………………………………………………”

I have always been captivated by rainbows – the bright spectrum of colours, the wonderful perfectly formed arch, almost like a secret doorway inviting you into another world. The magical tales we are told as children – that there is a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow; and all the songs that are sung about rainbows.

Rainbows are magical to me – I always feel closer to spirit when I see a rainbow; for me rainbows are a time when angels and fairies make their presence known on earth; I find great comfort from rainbows and always feel uplifted and at peace. Luckily for me I live in a place where rainbows are abundant – sometimes almost daily. I never tire of seeing a rainbow and I was particularly thrilled to have been honoured by the visit of 2 rainbows on my birthday last week whilst I was in Oban.

I love robin redbreasts too. For me they are cheeky chappies with a lovely plumage – bright and cheerful, bringing joy especially in the gloomy winter months.

We have a robin in our garden – he makes a daily appearance in the autumn and winter months; I’m sure he’s about throughout the summer too but we see less of him then. Not long after Megan came to live with us, I noticed the robin in the garden regularly and then I realised that there were two – a smaller less colourful robin who I assume is a female. The female seems particularly partial to human company – she sits in the trees and watches our antics and hops along the garden fence and wall whenever I am out in the garden playing with Megan.

After a couple of weeks of regular visits I remembered how much my mother loved robins – she always fed the birds in her garden but robins were her favourites. I mentioned this to my sister Sarah and told her I thought Mum had come back to visit me in the form of a robin. She suggested I feed it cheese gratings – as Mum had always fed cheese to her robins.

The robin loves the cheese and on the days I have forgotten to put it out, she comes into the house to remind me. I have found her in the dining room and upstairs in one of the bedrooms; a couple of weeks ago she was sat on the breadboard in the kitchen helping herself to the crumbs on the board and on the evening of my birthday 10 days ago, as we were all sat in the dining room enjoying my birthday dinner, she flew in and sat on the carpet in the lounge looking through at us as if to say Happy Birthday to me before flying off again.



A year ago today, I was with my darling mum when she died. At her funeral we played ‘Somewhere over the rainbow’ by Israel Kamakawiwo, a song Mum had heard on the radio days before she was admitted into hospital and a song she absolutely adored. Many of you who left me posts on my birthday said you were sure my mum was with me on my special day – I am in doubt whatsoever that she was.

And so, whenever I see a rainbow or a robin, I know my mum Millie has stopped by for a while to say hello.

UPDATE: The photo below was taken this morning by John - not only did a rainbow show this morning after I had published this post but the robin sat on the garden wall in front of the breakfast room for me too!


7 comments:

  1. You have made me cry now!
    The music and the words about your lovely Mum have made my emotions start flowing.
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. It made me cry too - but would you believe it after I published the post this morning, I stood in the breakfast room overlooking Iona and a beautiful rainbow appeared over the abbey AND my wee robin came and sat on the garden wall for me too. I've posted the photo for you to see - John took it while he was out walking Megan.

    It brought a big smile to my face and made me feel so much better.
    Thanks for stopping by :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fuchsia Girl aka Megan, shortly after my mum died, a female blackbird became very close to me, following me everywhere and meeting me as I came in from work. I told myself that this may be mum revisiting, it gave me comfort, so I can only too well understand when you talk about your lovely little robin redbreast, how you feel, and remember your mum, I hope he gives you some comfort too. Also on the night my mum died, I was lying on my bed with the curtains open and a bright star caught my eye, now when I see it, it always reminds me of her, more than likely looking down to see what I am getting up to! It helps to talk about your mum, the worst thing you can do is to bottle up your emotions, I never do anymore, I am invariably in floods of tears every day! Back to the robins, you can tame them although mine are not tame, I am going to feed them cheese gratings, although we have so many starlings around our area, that I worry they will get to them first. I can't believe your little robin comes right into your home, I would love that. As for rainbows, they are lovely, I always have to keep watching them until they disappear, not when I am driving though I hasten to add! What a post, I am so pleased you told us about your lovely mum Millie (I love this name). x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Louise, thank you for your kind words and support in your post. It looks like we share more than birthsigns. Jane :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful and touching post Jane..
    I am sending empathy and sympathy all the way to you on Mull..
    As I am sure I have mentioned before and please forgive me if I have ... I am having senior moments and complete lack of memory these days..
    My mother died 5 years ago.. she died in a clinic nr a place called Rainbow Woods..I often see Rainbows over the these woods which are located on the opposite hill to our home.. each time I know its "Mum' saying hello..
    Tears are never far away ...
    Michelexx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michele, thank you for sharing your memories of your mum with me. Sadly it's only when they have gone do we realise how much they mean to us and there are many conversations I didn't have with my mum that I wish I had. Three cheers for mums and may rainbows always shine on you. Jane :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just discovered your blog. I too had a bird in my kitchen. A bold blue jay was making a pest of himself one summer; taking pencils and small things off the patio table. Then he just started coming into the kitchen to beg. He got so pushy we had to be mindful and keep the door closed.
    Your blog is lovely. I shall explore it more fully soon.
    Laura from Amongst The Oaks

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

If you think life is a struggle you will always be struggling; if you think life is a breeze, your attitudes and actions will convey lightness and easiness