Friday 7 December 2007

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree...............

I wonder if the planets have all been out of sync and in conflict this week - browsing round the blogs it would seem many of us have had a really rotten week.


Touch wood I haven't suffered from this lurgy (although 2 out of the 3 children were ill with it last weekend); but I did have the misfortune to perform a rather painful ballerina split in my wellies whilst walking Megan on Monday lunchtime and ended up pitching face first down the hill into a water filled stinky peat bog and sprained my right ankle and left wrist in the process. It doesn't matter where you are, how much pain you are in or what you look like - your first thought is always 'I hope no-one saw me'


Megan thought it was a hoot - 'Do it again Mum!'; I managed to right myself, climb up and out of the bog and hobble rather painfully and slowly home stinking like a wart hog and bleating pathetically like a lamb! Poor me.


Anyway I ended up confined to bed again - there must be something about Mondays that just doesn't agree with me. For goodness sake - the winter months are supposed to me my time off and I don't want to spend them in bed convalescing.


Anyway, there is only so much daytime TV drivel a girl can stomach so yesterday it was time for another big adventure. The hunt for a Christmas tree!


It was like some kind of military exercise - the planning was unbelievable, Buck House has nothing on Seaview! Dog cage out of the car, back seats down, front seats moved forward, all the puppy dog paraphernalia packed (just in case!), saw, sheets, dog.................you know by the time we set off I was beginning to think we wouldn't have a room for a tree.





Anyway, 30 minutes later we went off road and up into the forest hills to choose a tree! Well, we were spoilt for choice - where do you start when you have miles and miles and acres of pine trees to choose from - big trees, little trees, tall trees, short trees, green trees, blue trees, stumpy trees, fat trees, thin trees, trees with cones, trees without cones, trees that shed needles, trees that don't, fragrant trees, non-fragrant trees...................................................well, you girls know what it's like. It's like asking us to choose a shade of paint for the wall - there are 213 million shades of magnolia for goodness sake, so how am I supposed to choose a tree from a whole forest.



Simple solution - leave it to HE man.






Before I could say "Yes but no but.......................", my man was off into the forest (complete with saw and yellow wellies) and brought me back this fine specimen.






After a wee bit of re-arranging in the car (leaving me to hobble 15 miles home was non-negotiable) the tree was in the boot and we were back home before nightfall.



I love real Christmas trees - I love their colour, scent, shape and their style but I do suffer with my conscience a wee bit; cutting down a tree just to dress it up and then throw it out naked in a month's time seems quite brutal, even though we had millions to choose from.



Well the tree was in, cut down to size (just a wee bit more lopped off).................and then handsomely dressed in its best bib and tucker. I adore the traditional wooden ornaments with lots of reds and greens with a splash of bright shiny baubles.

Every year I buy a couple of new additions and this year I bought these lovely wooden ones




An Angel
everybody has one looking out for them






Good ole Santa Claus x








Frosty the Snowman
This is as good as it gets!


Fingers crossed the tree is still there in the morning - Megan has been stalking and eyeing it up; she thinks it's her new chew toy!


16 comments:

  1. What a fall that must have been, don't suppose Megan had a camera? Well, you never know!!
    Only kiddin, poor you quiet right to feel sorry for yourself..hope you were spoiled on your return?
    Love the tree and the new decorations,looks just great very festive.
    thanks for popping by yesterday to my blog..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane, this is another long post, I am going to reply in two stages (that is if I can get The Boomtown Rate, I Don't like Mondays out of my head), I am one of those persons that scans text and doesn't take it all in first go. Oh no, fancy falling over, I really really do know how you feel, I am always doing it, I hope you haven't done any everlasting damage, our old bones cannot take falls so easily these days. Last winter J and I went for a walk at one of our local beauty spots Chanctonbury Ring and on the descent down a steep slippery slope of chalk, I slipped and fell on my backside, and because I put out my arm to save myself I hurt my wrist and my right hip, I do sympathise with you, the after effects are terrible. Luckily Megan was with you to lick your face as you lay still for those few seconds. Daytime TV is pants, whoever watches Jeremy Kyle, I hope you dont and as for those Loose Women, say no more! Although the other day I did get home early from work, turned on the TV and noticed how much weight Fern Britton has lost, she has done very well, a good incentive for me to lay off the mince pies! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here we go round two! How exciting to be able to go out to fell your own christmas tree, don't feel guilty, you can always leave the carcass in a quiet spot in the garden for the insects to inhabit. What a fine specimen your husband, oh no sorry, the christmas tree is, no seriously I am so envious, every so many years we have a real one, but the old artificial one will be coming out this year, I know it isn't the same, but once dressed no-one will be able to tell the difference? I hope Megan behaves her pretty little self around the tree, many have toppled over with the sheer strength of even the littlest of pups. Anyway I hope yours manages to stay in its pot, it looks lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jane,
    How great to be able to go and cut down your own tree! It looks perfect.
    Hope you are all well and gearing up for Christmas.....
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  5. gosh, glad you're okay!! I know what you mean about the planets...it's been cr@p for me these past twa weeks as well (with no injuries, tho, touch wood). I haven't been able to blog for various reasons, as well!! :/

    That's neat going to get your own tree!(and I understand the guilt) We've tried to get live trees most years, then plant them on our property. I've one that's 15yrs old and about 30ft tall now!

    I absolutley love your 'old fashioned' tree ornaments!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jane, I know that you must feel battered and bruised after your fall, I hope you recover soon from it, I know we can joke about these things, but really it is not funny. Hope all of your family is well and look forward to another post on the blog circuit soon. Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jane,
    Sorry about your misfortune, hope you are recovering now. To be able to cut down your own tree must be wonderful and the new decos are very pretty. I add to my stash every year so have quite a collection after thirty years of marriage. Take care and hope that Megan resists the temptation of that lovely fresh and fragrant tree!!!!
    Hugs,
    sandi x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your post (sorry about your tumble), and came away smiling at your adventures, and beautiful Christmas decor!

    Merry Christmas blessings,
    kari & kijsa

    ReplyDelete
  9. blogger's letting me comment so i'm racing around to leave as many notes as i can...
    i've just posted your wee gift - it may/may not arrive for xmas - dear jane, but it's sent with lots of love :o)
    warm hugs and mistletoe kisses to you and yours this yuletide xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just wanted to wish you a Wonderful HOliday Season.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jane , just popped over to wish you a very Merry Christmas and a oooch the nooo New Year, have missed reading your psts, hope you are all ok!
    And count me in on the comment from Louise @ re your hubby, very handsome indeed...
    Cooee, we need some trees felled down this way, are you free!!lol
    Regards , Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jane, I hope you have a lovely Christmas with all your family, keep warm on Mull, look forward to the New Year, have a great time. Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year!!! and hope your Christmas was splendid!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you will post soon. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll second that,

    hope to 'see' you again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jane, hope this finds you well, have missed your posts, hope you return soon. I have and still am taking a break from blogging, so much work to catch up on for the moment, so have just popped in to my blog for a little break from my break!!
    Hows your leg now? hope you are okay, hugs from Kath x

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

If you think life is a struggle you will always be struggling; if you think life is a breeze, your attitudes and actions will convey lightness and easiness