Tuesday 24 November 2009

Myths, legends and rocket science!

As December and yet another Christmas rapidly approaches I thought it was time to update my blog before the year is over and I wonder (yet again) where has the time gone?


Sufficient time has elapsed for me to update Mull Musings on how the geology course went. I started out so excitedly with such high hopes and expectations - here was something new I could learn about, something for the grey matter to focus on, something relevant to my life and my everyday surroundings. I was hungry for information.




The Isle of Mull has such a fascinating and diverse landscape. So much so that it is known as a 'mecca' for geologists from all around the world. To the likes of you and I, the landscape is just pure magic - wee dips and valleys, panoramic mountains and mysterious glens, stunning lochs and forests, remote white beaches and undiscovered coves. To the geologist, the land and rock formation is pure science with ancient rocks and minerals in the making over zillions of years.

And this unfortunately is where for me it all began to go horribly awry.


Having tramped round the hillsides for a few years marvelling at the landscape, I genuinely thought my imagination would be captured and my enthusiasm for facts, figures and science would know no bounds. How sadly mistaken was I. The course was run and led by a very capable and extremely knowledgeable geologist who in a former life taught geology to degree level at university. The range of knowledge of the course participants on what had been promoted as a 'leisure learning' course ran from doctorate holders (in anthropology) to simple folk like me (in life).

I
t was a no brainer from the start! The course facilitator was on a hiding to nothing really and I felt quite sorry for her. How do you pitch your material to students from opposite ends of the educational and knowledge spectrum? It was without a doubt the most intense and complex whistle stop tour of any subject ever known to man. And can I say the most mind numbing - I would arrive home after the 2 hour session each week and couldn't work out if my head was suffering from brain freeze because of the cold or the subject matter.



Sadly I only lasted 4 weeks out of the 6; the balance was finally tipped in favour of bailing out when I spent a freezing and wet day on a 'field trip' on one of my favourite beaches in the middle of March trying to muster up excitement about the different rock formations. I don't think the fact that I found rock pooling more entertaining won me any favours with the course teacher and I bowed out disgracefully the following week.

And the moral of the story?

Well for me, I learnt three things. First of all, never be afraid to step outside your comfort zone and learn something new. Secondly, never be afraid to accept you have made a mistake and say 'thanks but no thanks'. And finally, if you enjoy facts, figures and mind boggling bamboozling science - fine. However, for me I prefer the magic and the romance behind the myths and legends surrounding this beautiful and ancient island and I didn't want the mystery and the love affair I have with Mull to be stripped naked and laid open to scrutiny by science.




Give me pixies, fairies, giants and little folk any day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

If you think life is a struggle you will always be struggling; if you think life is a breeze, your attitudes and actions will convey lightness and easiness