Thursday 8 November 2007

Winter Comforts

Winter arrived here about 3.15 this morning when it blew in from the Atlantic and decided to shake, rattle & roll just about everything it could find; if it wasn't battened down it was flying................................the ferries have been cancelled as the sea is too rough to sail (force 10 storms!) and so we really are cut off from the mainland. It's great :-)




Today isn't the worse weather we've had; far from it, but after such a long spell of mild and unseasonal warm weather (plants and shrubs budding again as though it was spring), this cold north Atlantic blast has been a bit of shock to the system and has meant the thermals are getting an airing!

I'm convinced in a former life I was an old grizzly bear - all I want to do at this time of year is eat, eat, eat and sleep, sleep, sleep! And I'm cantankerous and growly like an old bear too - my husband John is wondering where the two horns growing out of the top of my head have come from.

I wonder if people living in the far reaches of the northern hemisphere really could hibernate for the winter? I'd be the first to volunteer. I'm craving carbohydrates - I've cleared the shelves in the village shop, chocolate biscuits, peanut butter, bananas, ginger cake, and apricot jam to go with the mountain of warm toast and lashings of melting butter! (And that was just lunch).

In this modern world of 24/7 living, with artificial light available whenever we want it, I wonder if we are doing ourselves a disservice by constantly being on the go. The seasons serve a purpose for all things and we ignore them at our peril. Spring is for rebirth; summer is for growth; autumn for harvesting and reflection and the winter is for rest and recuperation.

I say let our minds, bodies and souls rest a while; eat and sleep this winter; be kind to ourselves and reap the rewards next spring with renewed energy and vigour.

4 comments:

  1. that does it!, I'm inviting myself over to your place for a 'winter' lunch!!! ;DDDDD

    Ps glad you liked the Scottish Trekkie link!! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with you about hibernating, I would love to. Failing that can I join you and his girl friday for lunch?
    P.S. Your puppy is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I have just discovered your blog via 'the nostalgia fairy', I am so going to enjoy reading about your life on the beautiful Isle of Mull, I live in West Sussex, as far south on the mainland of England as you can go! How I love that Highland cow, that really is a face a mother could love! The cold north wind has been relatively gentle down here and the weather is still unseasonable mild. By the way my 'soulmate' is called John too! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm with you, my friend! we're mammals, after all - i'm convinced we should hibernate!!
    that's why i wanted a bear charm for winter on my story beads :o)
    love 'n' big bear hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

If you think life is a struggle you will always be struggling; if you think life is a breeze, your attitudes and actions will convey lightness and easiness